Habitat for Humanity of Ventura County (HFHVC) is the local affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International and shares the global Habitat mission to “put God’s love into action and bring people together to build homes, communities and hope.” HFHVC accomplishes this mission by building new, affordable homes, providing home repairs to low income homeowners and operating two ReStores. HFHVC has received a 4-Star rating from Charity Navigator the past 5 consecutive years.
The Chief Executive Officer reports directly to the Board of Directors and provides leadership to all aspects of the affiliate’s operations, fundraising and community involvement. This is a “hands-on” leadership role requiring strong business acumen, demonstrated P&L leadership, effective communication skills (both collaborative team leadership and public speaking), and the willingness and ability to learn new areas of our diverse non-profit.
Lead overall operations, including resource development, financial monitoring and reporting, staff supervision, marketing, and community outreach.
- Work in close cooperation with the Board of Directors and committees on governance, budgeting, board development, volunteer management, family selection, fundraising, and all matters affecting the affiliate.
- Ensure that HFHVC operates in a fiscally responsible manner, and maintains transparency and adequate funding to carry out its mission. Lead development and approval of the annual budget and ensure timely completion of the annual audit.
- Work and interface with Habitat for Humanity International to ensure HFHVC is in compliance with all HFHI policies and procedures and is in good standing.
- Maintain and develop community partnerships including with city governments, County of Ventura representatives, key supporters and donors.
- Develop and follow a strategic plan to identify strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats to HFHVC.
- Manage home building processes including site-selection and building committees, land development, coordination with city planners and funders, and creation of project budgets and timelines.
- Represent HFHVC at speaking engagements, public events, and other public forums.
- Advocate in the community for HFHVC, its mission and the importance of providing low-income housing. Be the primary spokesperson for HFHVC with local media, including print, radio, and television.
- A Bachelor’s degree. Masters degree preferred.
- Effective business leadership experience in a multi-faceted, active environment.
- A minimum of 10 years business/leadership experience including a broad range of finance, accounting, profit & loss, staff leadership, marketing and community development roles.
- Ability to work and collaborate effectively with a variety of different parties (e.g., the Board of Directors, staff, volunteers, Habitat families, donors, government and community organizations).
- Knowledge of and/or experience with leadership requirements in non-profit management.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including public relations and public speaking.
- Demonstrated interest in community development, housing or related activity.
- Knowledge of affordable housing development and/or Habitat for Humanity.
- Contacts and ability to connect with leaders in the community.
- Experience in fundraising/capital fund development.
- Knowledge or experience in real estate/land development or construction.
- Experience in working with volunteers.
- Knowledge or experience working with low-income families and their housing challenges.
- Bilingual in Spanish.
This position is based in Oxnard, CA.
To apply, please go to https://job-openings.monster.com/CEO-Oxnard-CA-US-Habitat-for-Humanity-Ventura-County/11/193154738 and follow instructions.
Date posted: 02.08.18
ReStore Associate – Simi Valley ReStore
Habitat for Humanity of Ventura County/Simi Valley ReStore is a non-profit organization that partners with families and the community to build homes for low-income families. The Habitat for Humanity Simi Valley ReStore is a discount home improvement store that brings in donations of new and used home remodeling materials from the public and resells them to raise money for local builds.
The ReStore in Simi Valley is hiring a part-time (16-32 hours per week) Store Associate.
The store hours at this time are 10 AM to 6 PM seven days a week, the scheduled shifts would most likely be 10 AM to 6:30 PM most weekends and a few weekdays.
Regular ReStore Tasks Include:
Pick up and deliver donations using Habitat for Humanity vehicles (primarily a 14′ or 16′ box truck).
Bring donations from receiving area to store floor, including regularly moving large and heavy objects (i.e. large furniture, cast iron tubs, stoves, fridges, etc.)
Keep store clean and organized, maintaining high safety standards by eliminating hazards and liabilities (e.g. clutter, tripping hazards, falling objects, etc.).
Greeting, building relationship with, and helping customers (including answering specific questions about building materials and any questions regarding construction or home repair in general)
Answer the store phone and help customers with any questions they have.
Check out customers using cash register.
Schedule driver pick ups for customer donations, while screening for quality of items.
Orient, train, and guide volunteers.
Unload and load materials from cars and trucks.
Ready donations for store front by cleaning, fixing, testing, etc.
Research (usually through the internet) and price donated items.
Use the proper tools (including pallet jack, hand truck, furniture dolly, or fork lift) to safely complete projects and tasks.
Develop and maintain safe and attractive displays for merchandise.
Work with a team of people to continually improve and grow the store.
High School Diploma/GED; equivalent work experience will be considered
Valid California Drivers License.
Ability to safely lift 70+ lbs, stand, squat, bend, and climb in/out of a truck on a regular basis
Ability to be on your feet for close to 8 hours per day
Ability to keep up with the physical demands of the job
Knowledge of the construction and home repair field
Must be able to work Saturdays and Sundays
Basic computer skills
What we’re looking for:
Proven record of excellent customer service
Knowledge of Habitat for Humanity’s mission and processes
Spanish/English bilingual is a plus
Fork Lift Certification is a plus
Interest in non-profit work (a track record of community work is a plus)
Retail experience (retail warehouse or hardware store preferred)
Strong people skills
Organized and meticulous
Takes direction well
Consistent Follow Through
We are looking for a specific fit for the job. We will be putting applicants through a rigorous selection process. Please only apply if you feel you will be a stand-out applicant.
You must pass a background check process that includes criminal, credit, and driving record.
There is a possibility that a drug test may be required for some positions.
To Apply for the position:
Email a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org including three personal references, three professional references, your hours of availability, and attach your resume in PDF format in response.
Resume should include all relevant work experience (including the last 10 years of employment); relevant volunteer experience; a summary of qualifications; relevant merits, training, certifications, licenses, and achievements; previous education; and any other information you think is important for us to know.