On Saturday afternoon, April 13, Habitat for Humanity of Ventura County will celebrate the completion of its third Home Preservation — in the City of Ventura.
- This is our first Home Preservation on Ventura’s Westside – and the first repair to fall under Habitat’s Neighborhood Revitalization Initiative (NRI), a home rehabilitation program that supports dynamic and sustainable neighborhoods and communities
- Homeowner, Rosa Izquierdo – who is suffering from a disability resulting in reduced functionality in both wrists – is benefiting from the combined contributions of Habitat staff and volunteers, local residents and many caring organizations. Without CDBG funding and the generous time donated by hard-working volunteers, Rosa, could not completely resolve the code compliance issues and other repairs required to provide a safe, decent, and sustainable home for herself, her daughter Angie, and grandson Nathan.
- The ceremony will begin at 3:00pm at 227 W. Prospect, Ventura, CA 93001.
Home improvements include:
- Exterior house paint, new utility patio cover and water heater enclosure, new windows and new front door.
- New interior doors, kitchen cabinets, countertop and sink, and new vinyl flooring in the kitchen
- Future repairs include waterproofing the roof and installing a new wall heater
All home repairs were made possible thanks to:
- Community volunteers who donated their time and talents
- A Ventura County Community Block Development Grant (CDBG) and HUD funds
- Our partners, the City of Ventura, the Westside Community Council and the Westside Community Development Corporation.
- The Surfrider Foundation will install an Ocean Friendly Garden on Saturday on April 13
“We are grateful to our Wednesday ‘volunteer’ crew, more than 100 community volunteers, and the homeowner’s family — who all came together to complete the repairs,” said Felipe Flores. “Our desired outcome is the creation of safe and decent housing.” Volunteer groups include:
- Habitat Wednesday “Volunteer” Crew
- St. Bonaventure High School
- Pepperdine University
- Mujeres Unidas from University of California Santa Barbara
- Santa Barbara Business College.
- Ventura County’s Running Community
- Consultants, Environmental Specialists from the City of Ventura and the Casitas Water District