BECOME A HOMEOWNER
You are invited to apply for our Homeownership Program! Habitat Homeowners help build their own homes alongside volunteers and pay an affordable mortgage. Our goal is for Habitat Homeowners to achieve the strength, stability and self-reliance they need to build a better life for themselves and their families.
San Pedro Street, Port Hueneme
We are currently selecting five homebuyers for our upcoming new build in Port Hueneme.
- 5 Townhomes available
- 3 Bedrooms, 2 ½ Baths, 1 Car Garage
- Located at: 705 San Pedro St, Port Hueneme, CA 93041
- Resale Restrictions - to remain an affordable unit for at least 20 years
1. Need for better housing
Applicants must be experiencing one or more of the following housing situations:
- SUBSTANDARD HOUSING – Structurally unsound or dilapidated housing, broken plumbing, faulty wiring, poor heating, leaking roof, etc.
- OVERCROWDED – Adult and child/children share a bedroom; more than two children share a bedroom; two children of opposite sexes share a single bedroom
- COST BURDENED – Rental payment is 30% or more of your total income
2. Willingness to partner
Throughout the build, homeowners invest time and energy into their future homes through:
- Building their own homes alongside volunteers through 250-500 hours of sweat equity
- Completing a homebuyer education workshop
3. Ability to pay
Our homeownership program is a hand-up, not a hand-out. Applicants must:
- Be able to obtain a pre-approval letter from a bank for a home loan
- Contribute 250-500 hours of sweat equity
- Have liquid assets not exceeding $100,000 at the time of determination of eligibility
- Gross household income must be below 80% of Area Median Income for Ventura County
- Must be a resident of Ventura County
- Must be legal U.S. residents
- Must be first-time homebuyers
Our Selection Process
If you meet the above criteria and are interested in partnering with us, please watch our virtual Homeownership Orientation. After viewing the orientation, please download and print the application and checklist. You may also pick an application up at our Oxnard office (1850 Eastman Ave., Oxnard, CA 93030).
Applications will be accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis starting Friday, June 26th, 9am, at the Habitat for Humanity of Ventura County Office.
Your application must include:
1. Completed application for homeownership
2. Mortgage pre-approval letter from bank
3. Income documentation and proof of residency
NOTE: Incomplete applications will not be accepted
Homeowner Orientation Video
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, our Homeowner Orientation will not be held in person. Please view the Homeowner Orientation video below and make sure your sound is turned on. Scroll down to download the application packet. You may also pick up an application packet from our office.
Completed applications will be reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis starting Friday, JUNE 26th at 9am. When submitting an application on June 26th, please note that masks and social distancing protocol (6ft) will be required at all times!
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions after you have viewed the Orientation video.
You may also pick up an application in person at the HFHVC office between 9am-2pm only. Please note that when picking up or submitting applications in person on June 26th, masks and social distancing protocol (6ft) will be required at all times!